Friday, September 12, 2008

3 Sites for transferring big video files

--

By Jon Miles, Lagniappe Television

Part of building a web empire is paying for it. Part of paying for it is making money and being efficient. A critical thing to get good at is moving info and files around.

FTP confused me for years. I know it's 'file transfer protocol' versus "hyper-text transfer protocol." I understand that it's a great way to avoid a web browser while transferring big files, but I never was geeky enough to set up my own server.

Don't get me wrong, I use FTP all day. At one of my clients, I get stories from all over the world, pull them down, and encode them onto the server and they get broadcast. From a Final Cut Laptop to 140 million people. Pretty cool actually, getting a file in HD and seeing it on the air 30 minutes later.

But instead of setting up a server, or paying for an expensive traditional FTP service, we have opted for web based file transfer services.

Here are three:

YOU SEND IT

Yousendit.com is my favorite. It's a great service that my wife and I use all the time. It's free for the one file upload option. They have a client for PC and Mac you can sign up for HERE.





My wife records her readings to an Olympus Digital Recorder, and sends them to her clients from her Powerbook. I send video files to clients the same way. When I need to send multiple files, I just make an archive of them right in the finder like this:





TRANSFERBIGFILES.COM

Transfer big files claim to fame is files sizes up to 1 gigabyte. This works for most people and would work for me for 90% of my applications. If I had found this service before Yousendit.com I might as well be using this one.





SENDTHISFILE.COM

Another option is Sendthisfile.com. They are a totally paid service, but the basic plan is pretty cheap. While the functionality looks strong, I'm loath to sign up for any subscription or monthly costs unless I know I'm going to use it alot.





So it's clear that there are lots of easy ways to move your data around basically for free.

If you found this helpful, please click on the button below and submit to your favorite social networking service.
--

No comments: